Thursday, October 16, 2008
Seve's Surgery Not So Smooth, In Stable Condition After Complications
After 51-year-old Seve Ballesteros had brain surgery yesterday to remove a brain tumor, initial reports were that the five-time major winner was in solid condition.
Well, it turns out there were some complications, with Seve experiencing some pressure in his head that led to doctors removing a portion of his skull. Wow.
Doctors removed a piece of Ballesteros' skull to relieve pressure that was building up on the brain following Tuesday's surgery. The hospital said in a statement that the 51-year-old former golf star is stable but still in intensive care.
On Tuesday, doctors removed a sizable part of Ballesteros' tumor. It was not immediately known if it was malignant.
The hospital said Ballesteros had presented a "decreased level of consciousness by brain swelling," adding that a decompressive craniotomy had been carried out.
Decompressive craniotomy involves part of the skull being removed to allow a swelling brain room to expand. Doctors say it is not uncommon after such operations.
Since a lot of people use the saying "it's not brain surgery" when discussing a complicated or intelligent situation, actual brain surgery is pretty intense. The fact that this is a common occurrence seems even more intense than the initial procedure, but all is well if Seve is stable.
There is still no word on the tumor being malignant, but when the report hits the presses I'll get it up as soon as possible.